Mynydd Newydd Colliery
The history of Mynydd Newydd Colliery 1843 to 1933
Mynydd Newydd was the last pit to be worked in Swansea and at one time produced 100,000 tons of coal a year.
At the beginning of the 18th century coal for smelting and exporting was being exploited in the mines located at Cwmbwrla, Penfilia, Trewydda, Mynyddbach, Llansamlet and Kilvey. In 1843 Mynydd Newydd Colliery, running west and northwards of Ravenhill, had been opened by the Vivians, at one time it produced 100.000 tons of coal per year and supplied coal to the Hafod Copper Works. Between 1895 and 1914 300 men worked underground and 56 on the surface at Mynydd Newydd Colliery. Almost immediately it was sunk accidents rock falls and explosions were frequent, they always resulted in the causes of the accidents had been due to the actions of the miners rather than to conditions created by bad management. The men insisted on working by naked candle light, being brighter than the safety lamps and took them into old workings where gas had built up. It closed in June 1933, was sealed off and eventually flooded.
Mynyddnewydd colliery pit head, showing the original Cornish Beam winding engine, which remained in daily use during the erection of the new horizontal steam engine and engine room.
To be continued.