Treboeth Community Centre
Treboeth Community Centre originally the Treboeth Public Hall - (Compiled by Ivor Williams on 14th July 2009, for Treboeth History Group)
Laid by E. R. Daniel Esq. J.P. Cwmgelly, High Sheriff of Glamorganshire, May 23rd 1891.
Laid by Alderman T. Freeman J.P. Brynhyfryd, Ex Mayor of Swansea, May 23rd 1891. Thomas Freeman from Brynhyfryd, was deacon in New Siloh Landore in 1900.
*Henry Hussey Vivian in 1893 Laid by Sir H. H. Vivian Bart. M.P. Singleton, Swansea, May 23rd 1891.
Sir Henry Hussey Vivian was born at Singleton (Abbey) Park in 1821, the eldest son of John Henry Vivian (Lord Swansea). He was educated at Eton University and became a famous industrialist and the first Baron of Swansea. He was virtually the guiding spirit of the firm of Vivian & Sons. Eventually he obtained the sole ownership of large collieries within the Swansea district. He was also a J.P, a Deputy Lieutenant for Glamorgan, and first Lieutenant, Colonel of the 4th Glamorgan Rifle Volunteers.
1845 -1855 at the age of only 25, Henry Hussey Vivian found himself given the general management of the huge Hafod establishment by his father and took full control of the business after his father’s death in 1855.
1847 – His first marriage was to Jessie Dairymple from Swindon, they had his eldest son, Ernest Ambrose Vivian. Jessie died in 1848.
1852 – 1857, he was the Liberal M.P for Truro, Cornwall
1857 – 1885, he was M.P for Glamorgan.
1852 – His second marriage to Caroline Elizabeth from Grantham, they had his second son, John Aubrey. Caroline died in 1868.
1870 – His third marriage was to Averil, they had four daughters and two sons.
1882 – He was created a Baronet and in 1883 he became the first Baron Swansea
1885 – 1893, he was M.P for Swansea
1866 – He laid the foundation stone for Hafod’s Philadelphia Baptist Church
1894 - Sir Henry Hussey Vivian died in November 1894
Laid by Sir J. T. D. Llewelyn Bart, Penllegare, Mayor of Swansea, May 23rd 1891.
(Sir) John Talbot Dillwyn Llewelyn (1836-1927) was the eldest son of John Dillwyn Llewelyn (1810-1882)
Laid by William Williams Esq. Millbrook, Swansea May 23rd 1891
Treboeth Public Hall 1905
Treboeth Community Centre July 2009
The plaque of Daniel James 1936
The plaque of Daniel James (Gwyrosydd) on Treboeth Public Hall commemorates the birth in Treboeth of Daniel James (Gwyrosydd) who wrote the words of Calon Lân, a Celtic Poet of Fame.
In 1936, 16 years after his death, a bronze plaque was erected in his memory outside Treboeth Public Hall. As well as an unveiling ceremony, there was a memorial service at Moriah chapel, when a packed congregation paid its own tribute to Gwyrosydd with an emotional rendition of ‘Calon Lan’
Daniel James was born on 23rd January 1848 in a thatched cottage in Llangyfelach Road, Treboeth, not far from Brynhyfryd Square. The road ‘Heol Gwyrosydd’ and Gwyrosydd Junior school, were named after him. He died on 16th March 1920 age 73 and he is buried in Mynyddbach Chapel cemetery.
Memorial Clock 1945
Treboeth Memorial Clock Installed to honour the services of local members of H.M. Forces in the war of 1939-45. Presidents D. Lewis Esq. “Fernbank” Rev. J. Davies B.A. “Bryncoed”
The clock was installed through public subscriptions, organised by Mr. Stanley Richards Headmaster of Brynhyfryd, junior boys’ school.
27th February 1981 The new Community Centre at Treboeth, Swansea, which was completed a few weeks ago, has already become a focal point for practically every activity in the area.
The centre, at the former Treboeth Public Hall, was first thought of three years ago by the local community association.
Now that their dream has become a reality the secretary believes that Treboeth has one of the finest centres in the city. "We are very lucky that we have one of the best, if not the best community centre in Swansea," said Mrs. Pat Phillips, who has been involved with the project since its birth in 1977. It was then that the association was formed. Other groups such as youth clubs, women's clubs and keep fit classes sprung up from it and now the association guides all these activities at the centre.
It is run on a voluntary basis with any profits being used to provide new equipment for the building.
It cost about £76,000 to convert the dilapidated building into the present bright and spacious centre. The Welsh Office contributed £60,000 through an urban aid grant, the rest coming from Swansea City Council. Money was also raised through other activities.
When work started just over a year ago the building was in a terrible state, said Mrs. Phillips. There were holes in the roof, rafters were rotting and the foundations were beginning to give way. Now all that has been changed and the centre has everything it needs. On the ground floor is a hall, a well-equipped kitchen and toilets specially designed for the disabled.
West Glamorgan County Council is also going to have a library there in the near future.
On the first, floor is a large room used by the youth clubs where young people can play table tennis or pool and it is also used by yoga and keep fit classes.
Mrs. Phillips said that two open days at the centre generated a lot of interest in local people, many of whom had enrolled for classes during the past fortnight. Some had even suggested forming new groups, such as old time dancing classes and a historical society.
Mrs. Phillips thought the centre was helping to bring the community together. “I’m sure it is getting more people interested in Treboeth," she said.
The centre will be officially opened by the Mayor of Swansea at a date yet to be fixed, said Mrs. Phillips.
13th May 1981 The Treboeth Public Hall was modernised and became Treboeth Community Centre.
December 1981 in memory of Glan Morris
This plaque was erected in memory of Glan Morris, founder member and first chairman of Treboeth Community Association, whose work and effort helped to provide this community centre for the residents of Treboeth. December 1981
May 1989 in memory of Pat Phillips.
This plaque was erected in memory of Mrs. Pat Philips a founder member and first secretary of the Treboeth Community Association, whose efforts on its behalf are remembered with gratitude May 1989.
1991 Treboeth Public Hall celebrates its centenary
The Public Hall in Llangyfelach Road celebrated its centenary in 1991
People from all over Treboeth, Swansea, attended a social night to celebrate the centenary of Treboeth Public Hall. It was built at a total cost of £585 at the instigation of three local chapels, Mynyddbach, Caersalem and Moriah, so that young men would have a place to meet other than the pubs. The hall is now used as Treboeth Community Centre.
It holds thriving art classes and its public lending library is the oldest in the Swansea area. The hall, on Llangyfelach Road, is also famous for its plaque commemorating the birth of local bard Gwyrosydd - Daniel James - who wrote Calon Lân. Heol Gwyrosydd is named after him.
During the social evening, Gwyrosydd School was presented with a painting by local artist Mr Joe Yonge, whose brother William ran the centre's art classes until he died recently.
Thirteen years ago there were fears for the future of the hall when it was discovered that rafters were rotting and foundations beginning to give way, but with the formation of a local community association, a £76,000 scheme was launched to repair and convert the building into the present bright and spacious centre. Most of the money, £60,000, came from a Welsh Office Urban Aid Grant, while the rest came from Swansea City Council and fund-raising activities.
Painting by Joe Yonge was presented to Gwyrosydd Junior School during the centenary in 1991. The painting is now on show in the main hall of Treboeth Community Centre.
Main content of page